In Part 3 of Making Healthy Eating Choices When Dining Out we will focus on portion control. Here are some suggestions to help with portion control:
1. Choose from the appetizer menu as your main dish.
2. Make your main dish a mixed-green-salad with vegetables and lean protein. Opt for lean cuts of meat, chicken or fish,p referably grilled, steamed or baked. Avoid fried or breaded protein options.
3. Choose from the low calorie menu. Many restaurants have a “lighter side menu” to choose from.
4. When choosing from the dinner menu, pack half your meal in a to-go-box and have the left overs for lunch the next day.
5. Share your main course with your dinner mate. Sharing your meal has the added benefit of saving money.
6. Share your dessert with your dinner mate or pack half the dessert as a treat for later in the week; or skip dessert all together.