There are a variety of cardiovascular machines in the gym to chose from. One of the more popular machines is the elliptical machine. Elliptical machines have been dubbed by some as either too easy or too boring. It’s a machine that you will either love or hate. When used to its maximum potential, the elliptical machine can be a great addition to your aerobic activity.
Here are some benefits of the elliptical machine:
1. It’s low impact. The gliding motion of the elliptical means that your feet stay in place, which puts little impact on our knees and ankles. Thus, if your joint health is compromised, the elliptical machine is a great alternative to running.
2. It’s a total body workout. Not only will your legs and arms be engaged, but other muscles will be recruited in the motion including your chest, back, shoulders and abdomen. Also, most elliptical machines have a reverse setting allowing you to focus on other muscle groups, such as the hamstrings, glutes and calves.
3. It incorporates resistance. Most elliptical machines allow you to increase the resistance. Resistance training strengthens your muscles and bones.
4. It saves time. If you are short on time and don’t have time for aerobic and resistance training, the elliptical machine does both in a short period of time. In twenty or thirty minutes you will get your heart rate up and build muscle at the same time!
5. It’s high-intensity-interval-training (HIIT). There are varying programs found on most elliptical machines, such as cross training or interval settings. Read more on HIIT here.
6. You are in control. What you put into it, is what you will get out of it. Meaning, the harder you work, the more calories you will burn.
7. It’s affordable. You can get a relatively high quality elliptical for home use. Do your research and check reviews before purchasing an elliptical machine.
8. It’s great for beginners. If you are new to working out, the elliptical machine is a great exercise to start building your cardiovascular endurance.
9. Keep it fun. Make sure your music playlist is one that will keep you motivated.
Reduce your chance of injury by keeping your head up, shoulders back, abdominal muscles tight, feet flat and keep your body upright (don’t slouch or lean forward).
What you put into your elliptical workout, is what you will get out of it. Bring the music, increase your intensity and have fun with it. Give it a try today.