If you know me, you know I love Zumba. It’s one of my favorite aerobic classes. It makes me happy. Not uncommonly you will find me and other participants smiling throughout the class. Why are we smiling? Because its fun.
Zumba is the brain child of Alberto “Beto” Perez, a Colombian fitness instructor and dancer. He created Zumba in the 1990s. It’s popularity gained momentum in early 2000s and its been going strong since. From the “about” page of the official website Zumba.com the following is stated:
Perfect for: Everybody and every body. Each Zumba class is designed to bring people together to sweat it on.
How It Works: We take the “work” out of workout, by mixing low-intensity and high-intensity moves for an interval-style, calorie-burning dance fitness party. Once the Latin and World rhythms take over, you’ll see why Zumba Fitness classes are often called exercise in disguise.
Benefits: A total workout, combining all elements of fitness-cardio, muscle conditioning, balance and flexibility, boosted energy and a serious dose of awesome each time you leave class.
I couldn’t agree more with the description above. Other benefits of Zumba include:
- It’s a great way to relieve stress.
- It’s a great place to make and meet new friends.
- The group environment is infectious and will motivate you.
- It really is for everybody. Beginners are welcome. You can start at your own pace.
- If you think you have no rhythm and feel intimidated, don’t worry about it. Just move and do the best you can.
Have you tried Zumba? If not, you should. It’s Move It Monday, get your dance on. Visit Zumba.com to find a class near you. As always, check with your doctor before you begin any physical activity.