Wow, its Monday, May 15, 2017. Where is the year going? How often is it that we feel life is moving too fast? Perhaps you started out 2017 with one of the more common new year resolutions which is to lose weight, get fit, eat healthy and become more active. Where are you in your fitness journey? Did your resolve turn into disappointment? Did you let yourself believe that you couldn’t do it because of one slip up with your diet or one missed day in the gym?
If that is you, fear not. Don’t beat yourself up and think you are a failure. Losing weight and getting fit is hard. It isn’t easy, but I am here to tell you that it is doable, you can do it! January 1st millions of people decide that they can change all their bad habits overnight. Well if that is your belief, you may be setting yourself up for failure. Overnight success is by the luck of the draw. Generally anything worth having takes work to get it. You have to decide what is “my why” for losing weight. Are you tired of feeling tired, is your health at risk because you have Pre-Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol or other obesity related illnesses or is it because you want to look better in your clothes? Whatever your why is, decide and believe you can do it!
Here are a few tips to help you along the way:
- Don’t expect to lose 30 pounds in one week. Be realistic. Set small actionable goals.
- Pick a weight loss plan which works best for you. The plan should be safe and sustainable. Remember fad diets work in the short term, but in the long term, you will regain the weight and more.
- Plan to swap “bad habits” for “good habits” one step at a time.
- Start moving. If your stamina is compromised start with a five minute walk and increase your minutes by five minutes every week.
- Surround yourself with positive people who will support and encourage you. No one needs a “Debbie Downer” in their lives.
- Don’t expect perfection. You will have cravings and you will be tempted. When you overindulge at a meal or skip a workout or two, move on. Tomorrow is another day. Don’t let one day sabotage all your efforts.
Why wait to lose weight, your Someday Starts Today. Embrace the fact that your weight loss journey will be bumpy and filled with miss steps, but resolve to pick yourself back up and move forward. I am cheering for you!