Craving something new? Are you bored with your current workout routine? Have you reached a plateau? Why not try an indoor cycling class, better known as spinning. If you frequent a gym, you probably have seen gym members fiercely spinning the wheels of their bikes. Also, you’ve seen them leave the class dripping with sweat. Typically the class takes place in a dark room. And not uncommonly the music is blaring and booming. Feel intimidated? Don’t be. Spinning is for all fitness levels. Beginners are always welcome. You can start at your own pace and work up as you build your confidence and strength.
Benefits of spinning
- Depending on your fitness level and your level of intensity, you can burn up to 400 to 700 calories in a 45- 60 minute class.
- It’s a total body work out. It incorporates both cardiovascular and strength training. Your legs, abs, buttocks and arms will get toned as you add more resistance.
- When you activate the large muscle groups in your legs (i,e. the quadriceps, hamstrings and glutes) you burn more calories.
- It incorporates HIIT, high intensity interval training. During the course of the class you will constantly alter the resistance and/or increase your speed. Read more on the benefits of HIIT here.
- The afterburn affect is real. You will continue to burn calories after your workout.
- It challenges you to do better each time. You will want to compete with yourself. Sometimes you will want to compete with those around you.
- For avid cyclists, spinning is great because it can be done throughout the year, no matter the weather.
- It’s a fun workout. Most spin instructors have a music playlist that will have you thinking you are in club.
- As with all exercises, it will help you cope with stress and depression.
- You will leave the class feeling invigorated and energized,
Hopefully, you will give spinning a try. Once you learn proper mechanics and have been cleared by your physician, you will become addicted to it. Spin It Monday!